Sunday, November 23, 2008

ANTS in me PLANTS!



A month of offering a fresh punch of flavor to our meals and I had to beg Sasha not to toss my little herb garden off the boat. A few days ago he noticed a lone ant trooping across the cockpit and wondered where it had come from. As it turns out my garden is harboring the little guys--- a whole village of them!! After filling my head with thoughts of ants infesting the entire galley and eating everything from loaves of bread to onions hiding under the sink, Sasha suggested we somehow create a mote around the plants to keep the ants in one spot until we have time to "deal" with them. I had nightmares about it all. Now Sasha is spraying bleach all over the bases of the pots and the deck they are sitting on to kill anything that dares venture out in the night. Any better suggestions out there?

3 comments:

  1. Where are the ants coming from? Do they swim or did they get a ride on something that you brought aboard? Where have they set up their home base? Ant killers and ant motels work, but I would think that on a boat you might need to know why you have them in the first place. Maybe they heard about your outstanding hospitality!
    love, momma jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about keeping the plants outside on the deck? you don't want to spray them with toxins, since they're for eating, but you can use ant traps or sticky traps in the galley until they're all gone

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought a whole box of ant traps yesterday and Sasha has surrounded the pots. I'm pretty sure the ants were in the plants when I bought them, we just didn't notice them until now. They really only venture out of the plants when I give them a good watering.(for now) We'll try the ant motels for now- the glue traps scare me (I got stuck in at ACC and it was a nightmare to clean off of my bare foot). We'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete