Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cleaning Dorado



It's become a new trend to find a fresh fish before each charter because... well, why not? This is one of the perks of living in the islands! Our buddy Nate who takes his fishing boat up to the North Drop brought this cow back for us. Because I've never cleaned a dorado before I bribed another charter captain with the offer of pizza to teach me how. (Jay will do anything for good food!)
Step 1: Catch the thing & get it on ice
Step 2: Find a good spot to make a mess on the dock.
Step 3: Cut along the dotted lines, rip off the skin, then cut down the spine to remove meat.
Step 4 : Poke the eyeballs and throw carcass in the ocean.
Step 5: Cut out bloodline & bones to leave nice fillets.
Step 6: Rinse fillets in SALT water to remove bits of dock & store in freezer.

After some hands on coaching I'm ready for a chance to clean my own! **For anyone at home cooking saltwater fish remember that if you are going to rinse it always use salted water, fresh water will make it mushy (because of osmosis).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, dotted lines, who knew? you have a way of making most everything seem effortless.

    JR received some cookbooks as graduation presents. he made a tasty puff pastry filled with chocolate - reminded us of french treats.

    I need to post comments more often - I could not get my password right and so I ended up removing my earlier post. the gray cells aren't what they used to be!

    love, mom

    ReplyDelete