Thursday, April 9, 2009

Keeping Your Fingers!

You only realize how much you need every little finger you own... when they are in danger. On our way up to Anegada this week we were trolling as we usually are and instead of catching tuna (our favorite little snack!) we caught two BARRACUDA! This is the only fish in the sea that scares the poo out of yours truly, and now we had one ON THE BOAT. Needless to say, I was still scared. Sasha, on the other hand, posed for pictures then knelt down on the thing to keep it from sliding around and got our lure back. (thank goodness for boys)

The other popular way to endanger your little fingers?? Finger food of course :) We've been doing spring rolls on the boat ever since our friend Nancy mentioned it. They are a great way to clean out the veg shelf -- and they're within the healthy diet!


We do the rolls as a create your own and we've not met a guest who has not loved it!

3 comments:

  1. Tara and Sasha~ I've just seen your blog! It's sensational! I am envious of your relaxed lifestyle and hope you're soaking up every beautiful sunrise and sunset and everything in between! I'm curious about your fear of barracuda? Have you had some horrifying experience? I know you have been swimming with sharks and thought that was pretty cool. Please explain...While on Eluthera, Bahamas this winter I was snorkeling by myself and an inquisitive barracuda approached me... I freaked out and got back to shore as fast as my fins would take me! I told several people about my experience and everyone said barracuda won't hurt you...true or false?
    Love to both! Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Pat!! Barracuda usually leave people well enough alone. I've never had a bad run in, but as a friend of mine put it " Barracuda don't bite, but if they do it's about 200 stitches". Humm... food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To make your own spring rolls:
    Rice paper sheets
    Bath of room temp water
    1 cucumber (seeded & sliced into strips), 1 carrot (use a peeler to make ribbons & soak in lemon juice all morning), 1 avocado sliced, rice noodles are optional, fresh mint, basil, cilantro, butter lettuce, mango sliced, garlic diced, white & Black sesame seeds, ground peanuts. For meat I have been using either leftover jerk chicken or spicy hoisin chicken.

    To make the peanut sauce:
    1/3 small jar of smooth peanut butter
    1/2 c. hoisin sauce
    5T. dark sesame oil
    2T. honey
    water to correct consistency
    1t. cayenne

    ReplyDelete