
Yummy Breakfast.. or dessert !! You can eat crepes almost any time of day because you can put just about any combination of food inside. I remember as a kid we always did some combination of fruit, yogurt, and chocolate. I left out the chocolate here... but for kids I'll always add it in :) The sweetened ricotta can easily be subbed out for low-fat yogurt for a lighter choice and I usually use some type of frozen mixed berry for the fruit.
Basic Crepe
1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat 1% milk
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Combine milk, water, melted butter, and eggs in a blender. Add the flour mixture to milk mixture, and process until smooth. Cover batter; chill for 1 hour.
Heat an 8-inch nonstick crepe pan or skillet over medium heat. Pour a scant 1/4 cup batter into pan; quickly tilt pan in all directions so batter covers pan with a thin film. Cook about 1 minute. Carefully lift the edge of the crepe with a spatula to test. The crepe is ready to turn when it can be shaken loose from the pan and the underside is lightly browned. Turn crepe over, and cook for 30 seconds or until center is set.
Sweetened Ricotta Filling
1 c. part skim ricotta cheese
4 T. powdered Sugar
1½ t. vanilla
Spiced Blueberry Topping
1 c. water
¾ c. sugar
1 c. blueberries
1 t. butter
1 t. lemon juice
½ t. vanilla
¼ t. scant nutmeg
Combine water and sugar in a small pot, boil until dissolved. Add blueberries and other ingredients, return to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until berries pop (4 minutes more). This makes a lot, but chills to keep for at least a week and is great on ice cream, too!
Putting it Together
Lay the crepe on a plate. Spread one spoonful of ricotta or yogurt in center. Top with about 1/4 c. of just slightly frozen berries. Wrap the crepe in a way that keeps the filling inside (creativity is fine here). Top with the spiced blueberry sauce. Eat! Enjoy!!
Tara, we had banana crepes this morning, before I had read this post! Next time, with your filling, yes! BTW, Julia Child suggests using Wondra flour, which I tried today, because the batter needs only 10 mins to rest, instead of an hour--it absorbs the liquid almost instantly. Keep up the deliciousness. Love, Nina
ReplyDeleteThat looks delicious! I will make sure that JR and Dad get your recipe since they are better at making crepes than I am :), and we will try Nina's suggestion of Wondra flour. I will try the blueberry sauce. Of course you know that everything is good with ice cream - that's the Chaille way. Are you booked this week, or do you get a rest?
ReplyDeletelove, momma jean
We're on charter of course! we've been really busy and the weeks just keep booking up!
ReplyDelete